My Baby Girl

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Whoops! ... Note: I am blonde...

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to serve at the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple Open House. I was the people counter at the front of the temple. At the beginning of my shift a group of 3 men come to the doors. The 3 men shook my hand and asked how I was, and if I enjoyed what I was doing. I was enjoying myself thoroughly and told them so. I had been laughing with a couple of the people I was surrounded by. (the young women were there to assist in taking pictures. And, Julio L. was there as security.) One of the men introduced himself as Elder Cook. I smiled and shook his hand. I had no idea who this man was. I knew the title elder was significant, but it wasn't until a large group of men and a few women came through and entered the temple that I was informed of exactly who this man was. Julio walked up and asked if I knew what was going on. I pointed through the window to a man with a blue yamaka. I explained that he was a Jewish dignitary. Julio then asked if I had seen Elder Cook. I said yes, he introduced himself as he walked past. I asked exactly who he was because everyone was making such a fuss. He responded with a look of surprise and shock. "Are you kidding? That is Elder Cook... of the quorum of the 12 Apostles..." I had to laugh at myself. I honestly had no idea. He proceeded to tease and harass me about my lack of knowledge in the world of my own religion, and yet I could tell by sight that the men he was guiding were Jewish dignitaries... Yes, ladies and gentlemen of the Internet I am in fact the worst Mormon identifier on this planet. I could identify the 3 men of the presidency, but the other 12 apostles... No. The other 2 men were from the 70 or something of that nature, and I still have no idea who they were either. It was a lesson well learned. Maybe Julio is right. Perhaps I should start attending all 3 meetings again, AND read the Ensign... which might be infinitely easier if I actually had access to an Ensign subscription...


My next scheduled temple shift is the 17th. From 3-8pm. I am super excited! The tickets and reservations can be found and made at http://www.lds.org/. There is a place for you to choose what day and time you would like, and how many you need. Print them off and you are ready to go! And! Yes, you do actually have to make a reservation. Absolutely everyone is welcome. Tickets are free, but you will NOT be let in without one! We ask that you do not take pictures inside of the temple, but you are free and welcome to take as many as you wish OUTSIDE of the the temple.


1 comment:

Jim and Amber Forman said...

Ha ha funny story. He walked passed me as well and smiled, I too had no idea who he was. We rock!