My Baby Girl

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Christian Hans Sorensen

My darling, wonderful, best friend-on-a-mission Chris! I am so very proud of you! I can't get over how far you've grown in the past year since you've been serving in Russia! I really, truly don't know what I would do without your weekly letters reminding me that I am not a crazy masochist, and I don't need to go on a killing rampage... but I am a sane person, who just needs to calm down and not take everything so seriously! "Things will work out Jess, God knows everything, and you know God so, you know everything too. Trust me, you're the smartest person I know!" Ah Chris! That is a total lie, but I love you for saying it anyway!

For those of you who are reading this and have no clue who I am referring to, let me take you through the wonder that is the Chris/Jess friendship! Christian is the twinbrotherIneverwantedbutloveanyway. No, he isn't really my twin, but he and I are pretty much the same person. We met in the 7th grade when I moved to South Jordan for the last 3 weeks of the school year. We didn't really talk much until the 9th grade when Chris and my friend Brianna started "dating" if you could call it dating back then... We went through most of high school not really talking much. The occasional teasing moment, and snide remark. We were casual friends. Senior year hit. I was dating Stanley Lloyd. Chris and Stanley grew up together and were best friends. Brianna was dating Chris, and Brianna and I were best friend. The 4 of us stuck together through that time. Chris and I started to talk more, and we got closer as the year progressed. Both Brianna and Stanley have always been crazy busy, so we stuck together to fill the dull time we had when we would wait for them to meet us somewhere. There is one time in particular that I can remember... It was a BHS symphony marathon rehearsal (a 6hr long rehearsal before a major performance). Chris and I wound up finding each other in the music hallway, and we snuck out of the school for a small break. We walked around the neighborhood behind the school for awhile. He told me a ton of stories about when he and Stanley were kids, showed me around their old hang out places. It was a lot of fun! The conversation turned serious as we continued our walk, and we started to confide in one another the struggles we were having in our separate relationships. It was really nice to finally be able to talk to someone about the different things that were going on. Chris explained how a boy's mind works, and why Stanley would do certain things. I did the same for him with Brianna. He was my rebounding board, and I was his. Anyway, he took me home once the rehearsal ended. We sat in my driveway and talked for a good 4 hours. Everything came out, and by everything, I mean e v e r y t h i n g. We just clicked. The friendship has pulled us threw some pretty tough places. The day after Stanley and I split, Chris was the person that came to my side. My car broke down in Draper, and he came and got me. I spent the day going around with him to the different church properties he took care of. He showed me what he did, and taught me how to turn the sprinklers on. I helped him out by checking each sprinkler head making sure they all were working and what not. We raced scooters through the parking lots while we watered the lawns for 15 minutes each. He didn't ask me for details about what had happened the night before, he didn't press for anything, nor did he ask if I was okay. (To which I was thankful for, because that was a stupid question, and I didn't hesitate to say that to anyone that asked me that question.) He just said "Jess, I'm here for you." He was so happy to finally have someone take as much pleasure as he did out of his job. He loved working on the landscaping for the church. He felt a lot of pride for what he did. He'd point out every church he had worked on. He wanted more than anything for Brianna to hang out with him, and be as happy as he was. She didn't seem to take an interest in his work. It really hurt his feelings. We were good for one another in so many ways. As time went on, and Chris left for SUU fall semester we kind of drifted a bit. We'd text here or there, leave a myspace comment on occasions. When depression hit Chris he called me. I was there when he needed someone to talk to the night he tried to do away with himself. After that we spoke everyday, and we spent a lot of time together the days when he would come home. We'd go on walks around his neighborhood at 2 in the morning (even though he didn't enjoy waking). Lay in the middle of the street under a street lamp and just talk. It was Chris that walked me through how to keep the friendship with Stanley going after we parted ways. Still to this day when I get upset or frustrated by anything a guy says or does, even though he is on his mission he still walks me through it, and explains to me the best way he would handle the situation, and why boys do some of the dumb things they do. I would be lost without Chris! He is madly in love with my second cousin Polly, and if they wind up getting married, whelp... I couldn't be happier to have him as a distant relative! I am so very proud of my Chris and can't wait to see where he goes in this lifetime!

Lava Ya Hotta Chris!!!

No comments: