My Baby Girl

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Writers Block...

There I was: sitting in a hard chair facing my computer with a new page on the screen and that damned curser blinking at me. I had the opening paragraph all mapped out in my head before I sat down. It's the reason I sat down in the first place. I typed the first sentence, then the second, and made it halfway through the third before I slammed my finger down on the delete button. It just didn't sound right. A second attempt lead to a third, and finally a sentence I could stand spread out across the page.

One sentence.

That's all I managed before writers block set in.

So, it's time for a break... Well, sort of. I need to flush out the reason behind the writers block, and where better than right here. On the internet. :)

I have writers block because: I am a perfectionist, and I have a hard time understanding that it's okay to write several different drafts of the same story. It doesn't have to be right the first time. I need to get the whole story out, then I can go back and tweak it. The perfect line will come to me as I work. To quote Picasso: "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."

I feel I can't do this project because: I am afraid of failure. In my mind, I have a lot riding on this book. It is my best shot at fulfilling a life goal of making it to the New York Times Bestseller list. That's a lot of pressure for one little book.

I'm afraid of this process because: I know it may never go anywhere. It is easier to imagine potential, than to face failure. Also, if I am not careful... I could face a lawsuit -- there are a lot of 'sue' happy people out there. It's an easy way to get money. That is money that Aaron and I can't afford to lose.

I doing this because: If I don't, I know I'll regret it. I'll never be able to shake the 'what if' factor. How can I look my baby girl in the face and tell her to go for her dreams if I am too afraid to reach for mine.

Alright, now that I have my priorities in order... it's back to writing, and I think I know just how to start this time.

Wish me luck!



No comments: