My Baby Girl

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Beautiful Eyes In A Confused World...

It's so funny what people choose to see. More importantly what they choose to hear and say. I have been reading a book entitled The Gospels Of John In Contemporary Language, by Eugene H. Peterson. He opens his sentiments with the observation that speaking is the key to fixing the mistakes of the world. "That the fixing is accomplished by God speaking - God speaking salvation in the person of Jesus. Jesus, in his account, not only speaks the word of God; he is the Word of God." (Meaning the fruits of the gospel of John in the bible ie... what John was writing about.) He then explains with these remarks: "Keeping company with these words, we begin to realize that our words are more important that we ever supposed. Saying "I believe," for instance, marks the difference between life and death. Our words accrue dignity and gravity in conversations with Jesus. For Jesus doesn't impose salvation as a solution; he narrates salvation into being through leisurely conversation, intimate personal relationships, compassionate responses, passionate prayer, and -putting it all together- a sacrificial death. We don't casually walk away from words like that." While I agree with Eugene H. Peterson, I believe that our words are far more important that we ever supposed, for Christ himself said it is not so important what goes into your mouth as what comes out of it. Our words have the power to change lives, alter a person's reality, and create a society... However, I don't think he quite understands what he is trying to say. I don't mean to say he is incompetent, merely mistaken. As a Christian in the LDS faith I have been taught to believe, live, and understand that to have faith is not only to believe but to work. That to regain the highest level of salvation is to have an active faith. The belief behind that is supported and explained in James 2:14-18
14 What profit is it, my brethren, for a man to say he hath faith, and hath not works? can faith save him?
15 Yea, a man may say, I will show thee I have faith without works; but I say, Show me thy faith without works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
16 For if a brother or sister be naked and destitute, and one of you say, Depart in peace, be warmed and filled; notwithstanding he give not those things which are needful to the body; what profit is your faith unto such?
17 Even so faith, if it have not works is dead, being alone.
18 Therefore wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead and cannot save you?
19 Thou believest there is one God; thou doest well; the devils also believe, and tremble; thou hast made thyself like unto them, not being justified.
20 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
21 Seest thou how works wrought with his faith, and by works was faith made perfect?

While I understand this is an extremely touchy and controversial issue, I wonder... isn't speaking an act of work? To speak is an action. To proselyte is a work. To preach is a work. To study, is a work. To ponder, to pray, to strive toward heaven. That is a work. The difference between your work, and my work, is I believe I am working towards a level of salvation. Resurrection is not salvation. All are Resurrected, but not all will be given the highest degree of Salvation. Salvation is to be saved to the next stage of progress. The first stage of progress is our life here on earth. My dad explained it to me using an analogy that I find quite interesting. He said "They say if you have enough faith, you can move a mountain right?" I responded with yes. He said "I know I have enough faith to move that mountain in front of me, but at what point do you know you have enough faith to move the mountain?" I gave him the typical answer... He said "The point at which you know you have enough faith to move that mountain is when you go to the bottom and stick a shovel in it, and take out the first shovel full of dirt." I loved that! It was perfectly worded! To have faith is to act upon it. To work towards gaining a testimony, and an immovable knowledge in your Savior, and his gospels. If you merely say "I believe" it does nothing more than move the air in front of your mouth, unless you move towards continually proving, and supporting those words. Did not Christ act upon his faith? Did he not show his faith through his works? Did his disciples not follow in his footsteps? Why has Christ then asked of us to work, if not for our salvation, then for what? He has this world, and all that resides in it. Our works are for us. He has given us the gift of the Atonement. The chance to be forgiven of all sins, to be resurrected, and to return to our Father in Heaven, our Brother and Savior Jesus The Christ, and our Heavenly Mother. I am not saying the rest of the Christian world is mistaken in their belief that to be saved is simply to believe. I feel that belief is simply the first step... but there is more to it, just as there are more books of scripture. The Lord never stopped teaching. He didn't just perform miracles, and send Angels in biblical times. He said I am the same today, tomorrow, and Forever... He is still to this day, actively working, in and of faith. Today, Tomorrow, and Forever.

2 comments:

Jim and Amber Forman said...

Jess we need to take a night soon to refocus ourselves on the matter at hand.

Jess Meredith said...

I completely and fully agree.